For compassionate service with a personalized touch, visit the Audiologists of Clifton Springs Hearing Center in the Clifton Springs, Pittsford, and Canandaigua, New York areas. Our small, intimate office environment allows us to devote more time and attention to your hearing loss needs.
Hearing loss is on the rise in the United States and you could be at risk! Here are some facts about hearing loss that shed light on the topic and may help you avoid developing this condition.
- About 12% of the U.S. population (38 million Americans) suffer from significant, debilitating hearing loss.
- Over 90% of deaf children have hearing parents.
- In adults over age 65, about 30-40% suffer from hearing loss.
- 14% of adults age 45-64 experience hearing loss in some way, whether it is mild, moderate or severe.
- In children ages 6-19, 15% of the population has quantifiable hearing loss in at least one ear.
- 5 out of every 1,000 newborns have hearing loss.
- Exposure to noisy situations, such as traffic, even for 15 minutes a day can accumulate over time and can cause permanent damage to hearing.
- Wearing hearing aids can dramatically improve most types of hearing loss.
- Even mild hearing loss can cause a child to miss as much as 50% of a discussion in the classroom, which could lead to poor school performance.
- Listening to MP3 players at high volume is extremely damaging to your hearing. The damage is not always present immediately, but accumulates over time.
- When deafness is identified early, studies show deaf children can develop communication skills at the same rate as their hearing peers.
- About 50 million people in the United States are affected by a condition called Tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
- People who suffer from hearing loss will wait an average of 7 years before they choose to seek help for their problem.
- 16% of physicians reporting regular hearing screenings as part of their repertoire.
Hearing loss affects quality of life and takes away from special time with loved ones. To learn more about getting help for your hearing loss, or to share information with someone you care about, please contact us at our Clifton Springs, Pittsford, or Canandaigua, New York locations.